Interview with Raul Khajimba, the candidate for the President of RA
On 9 August a candidate for the President of RA, Raul Khajimba gave an interview to the Public TV Studio "Asarkia".
Record notes of the interview with Raul Khajimba
Corr.How often do you access the Internet?
- Every day.
Corr. And what are you looking for there?
- Interesting things concerning politics and our life inside. Besides, today people communicate with each other by a miracle - internet.
Corr.Raul Dzhumkovich, what do you think about social networks ?
- Well, frankly, I do not often communicate in social networks. But I can not say that I am indifferent to do it ..
Corr.In this case I am representing people who asked questions in social networks and the first question rating was: When will officials fill in income declaration ?
- When the law on the introduction of relevant declarations will be adopted. And I think this should be done by the time when the social standard of living and salary levels will correspond to the present state of affairs.
Corr.What do you think if our officials, representatives of authorities are ready for this?
- I think, they are not.
Corr. How many officials are there in Abkhazia? Is it necessary to reduce a state machinery?
- Well, today officials are in the third place by their number after doctors and teachers. If you look at data. We do not need such a number of them and half of them could be reduced. Right up to a more part of these people.
Corr. Raul Dzhumkovich, but why people are so eager to work in those spheres?
-'I can not say whether they do it with pleasure or without. One should ask each of them. Perhaps some have intentions to look like persons of certain level.
Corr.The next question is connected to the previous one in my opinion. Do we need a reform of the political system? If so, which?
- We do need it. Life has shown today that the President alone is not able to resolve the problems our country and our leadership face. I think we should strengthen the Parliament. Increase its authority to the extent that the composition of the Parliament should be much more than it is now.
Corr. To do it at the expense of decreasing of presidential power?
- I think not only by decreasing of presidential power but we need to increase the powers of the Parliament, which will indeed influence on all processes that are actually connected both to internal life and the actions in foreign policy of the President must be controlled. I think that life itself has shown, we have adopted lots of various documents with Russia and, unfortunately, only a few of them have been ratified. That is, these documents were not considered by the Parliament.
Corr. Do you consider it necessary to abolish the vice-president position in connection with the political system reform?
-I think, not only the vice president position must be abolished. We could do even more. We do not need even the Prime Minister position. The President is the chief executive according to the Constitution today. And the President must manage an entire cabinet and must deal with all the work of executive branch, all ministries and departments. And the committees should directly subordinate to the President.
Corr.Raul Dzhumkovich, I can not help asking, what do you think of a balance between " Ochamchira" - "Gudauta." What must be done?
- Professionals and knowledgeable people must be brought to power. The President may be from Ochamchira and from Bzyb,(Gudauta) but what is the difference if he knows his work poorly. Is it so important which region he belongs to? This is not the most important principle. The main principle is professionalism and knowledge of the person aimed at changing of our life.
Corr. What is your opinion about oil exploitation in the Abkhazian shelf?
- It is bad. I think it is untimely to start it. And maybe it is not necessary at all, because in many countries of the world the situation with oil production has shown that all is not going so smoothly. All the more it is dangerous for our small country, which has always been famous for tourism. And if to make right efforts, then we will have other opportunities. Oil production is not a benchmark to be focused on.
Corr. The next question is impossible to answer briefly, after all ...What must be done to break the deadlock over the repatriation? Do you agree that the issue has been frozen?
- Recently with representatives of our diaspora we have talked about it. First probably it is necessary to understand why are we bringing them here? In order to show how much we worry about statistical increase of our population, or we actually want these people to adapt conditions as our fellow citizens, like our brothers. First of all it is necessary to solve the problems of transport communication and passing the border. Problems connected with young people which should come to us.We have to solve the problem of education at our university with the provision of hostels and creation of conditions for these people. Then, I think many problems will be settled.
Corr.What is your opinion about the village of Aibga?
- In my opinion, it is our village and we are not obliged to give any centimeter of the land and are not going to do it..
Corr.What should be done to raise the village as soon as possible?
- It's not a problem to be solved very quickly. I give frequently the example of America that only 1% of people are engaged in this industry. But they feed almost half of the world. The state actively subsidizes this direction. We must move decisively to this form of activity. Not just short-term handouts, but annual meaningful work with people engaged in agriculture. That is to subsidize, control and benefits should not be just given for one month or a year, but the so-called privileged holidays, which are aimed to be carried out in quite long terms.
Corr. Can you formulate an Abkhaz dream in a sentence and how will you try to implement it ? Well, here is an analogy, the American dream is a man the owner of the world, is there anything like this in the Abkhaz mentality, let's say so?
- You know, it's hard to speak about some kind of comparative analysis, whom we would like to resemble. Well, that if we say about some countries I will say about Israel, I think.
Corr. Can you say what namely? There's a lot of things there ...
- They overcame difficulties, problems connected with repatriation and issues related to the arrangement of these immigrants and creation of conditions for development of rural life. This is what inspired this country to those indicators that they have today. Their economy has grown very rapidly in these conditions. The activities of this state and its people are rather exemplary for many other states.
Corr. What should be done in order the next President of Abkhazia , whoever be chosen, fulfill his promises?
- One should love his people and country. I am more than confident that to do a lot of things in a short period is very complicated.. But realistically to make, at least some steps to show that we are on the right path. It is possible. The first thing we need is to introduce in a real order. And to create real conditions for people to feel that there is real concern on the part of leadership of the state.
Corr.I understand that one needs to do all this, but today there is no guarantee that whoever wins, he will fulfill promises. There is a devaluation of a belief that someone can do something.
- I understand that such a devaluation actually exists, but not to believe that it is possible to change something means to stay in the same state. We must believe that we can do this in fact and we will be able to do it.